We've Been Around Since 1900
Joseph Shehadi, the founder of Shehadi Rugs, was born in 1880 in Beirut, Lebanon and came to America in 1900. During his early years in New York, Joseph was contacted by Alexander T. Brown (the inventor of the L. C. Smith typewriter) who called upon young Shehadi to outfit his home with oriental rugs. After this large order Joseph started Shehadi, Inc. in Syracuse with sister stores in Lake Placid, NY and Palm Beach, FL selling fine linen and children's wear.
Joseph's son, George, took over the Syracuse store from him in 1930 upon graduation from Syracuse University. By this time Shehadi's was a flourishing retail operation complete with a home furnishings department as well as the original oriental rug
operation. In the early 60's the store was moved from S. Warren St. to its current location on Erie Blvd. in order to be more accessible for customers.
In 1977 at the ripe age of 25, Steve, the son of George Shehadi, assumed ownership of Shehadi, Inc. The legacy continues on to the 4th generation with Steve working along side his daughter Gabrielle who began working at Shehadi's in 2016.